domingo, febrero 19, 2006

Peace Camp

I haven't updated in a LOOONG time already. I've been so busy with schoolwork (as usual). It was only recently when I passed the term paper and the investigatory project, both of which were taking a lot of my time. What's keeping me busy right now is the play production. We're doing Twelfth Night, by Shakespeare. I'm the Director of Photography and the Head Designer as well. *sighs tiredly*

A lot of things happened on Friday. In the morning, we had the Tribute to Service for our teachers. I hitched a ride home with Vera and her mom on lunchtime, only to come back to school after one hour, fully bathed, packed for the Peace Camp and clothed for the Raki concert that the Glee Clubbers and the Songbirds were watching.

We went back to school at around five-ish. The camp had already started with a talk from the Gen Rev people (which was nice, by the way. Starting peace within ourselves and our families. Really paid attention), and we all hastened to change into proper clothing before going to the camp site. I was already feeling the chills as I changed, but I didn't think I was getting sick already.

But I was so cold already by the time the peace talk ended, so when everyone else was making peace with their enemies, I hurried off to where Meg stood and told her I was sick and she dragged me off the grounds. And I cried. Seriously. I was SO pathetic. Meg calmed me down and helped me warm up for a while. But that did not stop her from threatening to call my mom and drag me home. I didn't want to miss the Peace Camp so we made a little deal. She would give me an hour, and if I still wasn't feeling better, she would send me home. So there we were, and my circle of friends trooped to where we were, who were also - can you believe it? - crying! O_o

Anyhoo, I was feeling loads better so I went back to the grounds to look for Angela, who was carrying some of my things. Then I spotted Teacher Anne and I went to her and we hugged each other and I ended up sobbing again (Gak!! Crybaby!!) and since I can't keep my mouth shut, I also told her that I was sick. And like Meg, she also threatened to send me home, but I told her about the deal, and she was okay with it.

I went back to the classroom and took a pill of Biogesic from Regina. I was loads better after then, and I helped set up Meg's tent. Okay, maybe I wasn't that much of a help, but I was there anyway... holding... rods? Meg left the manual in her car so they were having a hard time with it. It was supposed to be dinnertime, yet none of us were able to eat. In the end, we just made sure it was upright, and went back to camp grounds to have games. My fever had gone, so Teacher Anne and Meg weren't able to drag me home. Yay.

We ended up with the living rosary at around half past ten. I was already bloody hungry by then, so when it was time to go, we went to Kimi's tent and ate dinner. Cold Burger Steak isn't exactly the best dinner, but the Dorritos with salsa was good.

Slept at around twelve-ish. Gabey and I kept on saying good night and good morning because after we would say that, we would end up talking again, and therefore have to say good night again. But we eventually fell asleep... and I got feverish again! I kept waking up at intervals, and I woke Gabey up too... she did all sorts of things for me like giving me her sheets because I was shivering (despite that anyone could've died from suffocation) and putting her skirt on the edge of the tent so my feet won't get wet (it was raining). Seriously, she really put up with me, and I thank thee for that, Gabey.

Around four, I woke up and ended up crying again (geez!). I was so cold, even though I had two sheets piled on top of me. I wanted to seek medical help, but decided I could wait until we get up, so I slept again and woke up an hour later, when Gabey said that I was so hot, we should go and find Teacher Anne or somebody. Never got around to finding her, so we just kept our tent and got ready for the day ahead. Thankfully, my fever broke again.

It was six-ish when we gathered on the quadrangle again for the closing ceremony. The people in front made us take this oath which was SO long it made my hand hurt. Before that, we had a 'warm-up'... which was actually dancing to Crazy Frog. Oh, well.



Here is my Peace Camp version of Notes to Self:


10. Chips Ahoy and iced vanilla coffee make a good breakfast.

9. You will run out of digital camera batteries if you are paranoid.

8. When the Seniors say "warming-up", it doesn't actually mean you'll be doing
exercises. It means, you're going to dance to...

7. ... Crazy Frog. Which does not remotely make a persons' day. Baa-baa-ring-ding-ding-ding-ding...

6. Candies as game prizes? Not good enough. Especially if you're sponsoring the prizes in the first place.

5. Eat when you're supposed to. Otherwise, you're going to end up eating at eleven in the evening.

4. Bring a box of crayons. Don't ask.

3. The idea of being woken up by a whistle does NOT make the Peace Camp peaceful.

2. It is probably best to just take a pill and shut up when you get sick, lest your friends and teachers threaten to hurl you home. Also, it pays to have a 'motherly' (or so, she reckons) tentmate. She will be your nurse / geisha.

1. Never underestimate the power of Biogesic.



Toodles!!