martes, noviembre 15, 2005

Love, Actually.

is feeling loved


We had no HW for the past two days, so I borrowed Akkie's DVD of Love Actually, which stars Hugh Grant, Keira Knightley, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, and other British stars. I watched it yesterday.





I loved the movie, even though it's a little rushed. It follows the lives of eight, very different couples dealing with their love lives set during a frantic month before Christmas. The central character is the Prime Minister, David (Hugh Grant) who is smitten with his new personal secretary, Natalie (Martine McCutcheon). David's sister Karen's (Emma Thompson) marriage to Harry (Alan Rickman) is on the rocks after she slowly grows aware of his flirtation with his employee, Mia (Heike Makatsch). The son of Karen's recently-widowed friend Daniel (Liam Neeson) asks for love advice about an older girl he has a crush on. Jamie (Colin Firth) travels to France to write, where he meets Aurelia (Lucia Moniz) and falls in love with her. Meanwhile, Harry's secretary Sarah (Laura Linney) is in love with office hunk Karl (Rodrigo Santoro) but her personal family problems get in the way. And a photographer is in love with Juliet (Keira Knightley), who recently married his best friend.

Whew, that's a lot.

Anyway, I love the story, because it depicts the different kinds of love, and it's highly amusing. I love Emma Thompson's acting as a wronged wife. The scene where she thought Harry's gift to her was a necklace, and it turned out to be a Joni Mitchell CD is just heartbreaking. Darn Harry for giving that necklace to Mia. Speaking of Mia, I really really hate her there, she's so annoying! Juliet's really pretty though, and I loved the scenes between Natalie and the Prime Minister.

Is there such a thing as unconscious shipping? After watching this movie, I sort of shipped Professor Trelawney (Emma Thompson) and Professor Snape (Alan Rickman) together just because they were together in the movie! Ha! I'm really weird. Someone hit me, please. I just sort of hate how the story wrapped Harry and Karen's story. They didn't explain how the both of them dealt with the Mia issue. In the end, it was just showed that they kissed each other on the cheek in the airport. One may think they made up, but it's also possible they were just doing that for the sake of their kids. That's why today, I satisfied myself with some fanfictions on how things really wrapped up.

Favorite Movie Quotes




"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." - David

"True love lasts a lifetime." - Karen

"Now which doll shall we give Daisy's little friend Emily? The one that looks like a transvestite or the one that looks like a dominatrix?" - Karen

"The trouble with being the Prime Minister's sister is it does put your life into rather harsh perspective. What did my brother do today? He stood up and fought for his country. And what did I do? I made a papier-maché lobster head. " - Karen

IMHO, Karen has the best lines.


And some favorite dialogues:



Harry: Tell me, exactly, how long it is that you've been working here?
Sarah: Two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, what, two hours?
Harry: And how long have you been in love with Karl, our enigmatic chief designer?
Sarah: Ahm, two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, an hour and thirty minutes.

Karen: So what's this big news, then?
Daisy: We've been given our parts in the nativity play. And I'm the lobster.
Karen: The lobster?
Daisy: Yeah!
Karen: In the nativity play?
Daisy: Yeah, first lobster.
Karen: There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?
Daisy: Duh!

Natalie: Hello, David. I mean "sir." Shit, I can't believe I've just said that. Oh, and now I've gone and said "shit" twice. I'm so sorry, sir.
Prime Minister: It's fine, it's fine. You could've said "fuck", and then we'd have been in real trouble.
Natalie: Thank you, sir. I did have an awful premonition that I was going to fuck up on the first day. Oh, piss-it!

Prime Minister: Ah, hello. Is, er, Natalie in?
Natalie: (coming down stairs) Where the fuck is my fucking coat?
(sees Prime Minister)
Natalie: Oh, hello.
Prime Minister: Hello.

IMHO, Natalie and the Prime Minister have the best dialogues, although I also loved Juliet and her husband's best friend's, er, "dialogue" through sheets of poster board.



Nothing extraordinary happened in school today. By the way, I joined this essay writing contest a few months ago. I blogged about it before. It's basically about Remembering Ninoy Aquino, and I remembered I was so pressured with that because I had to work on that essay while studying for the exams, and I wasn't really satisfied with how my essay turned out. But for some reason... I became a finalist! OMGZ! OMGZ! That was SO amazing. I so did not expect it. So that was my English teachers' surprise! We're attending an awarding ceremony this Friday, at five PM, so, uh, good luck?

Have to run. It's half past ten already and I have to go to bed. Au revoir!

xoxo