martes, mayo 17, 2005

The Heat Is On

(tacky title, I know)

Here is the promised longer entry about my weekend getaway!

THURSDAY

My brother Nico and I packed our bags for the two-day trip. We were to go to my Uncle and Aunt's house in Talisay because they were the ones who will take us to Bantayan Is. Or so, we thought. With us are next door neighbors, who are my uncle's siblings, Arianne and Arnold.

SATURDAY

Arianne, Arnold, Nico and I woke up at four in the morning, because my uncle told us that we should be awake by that time. We barely had sleep because we weren't really used to sleeping early, and I couldn't sleep well because Arnold was snoring like crazy.

So we went downstairs to get ready, and to our annoyance my uncle and aunt aren't awake yet. In the kitchen we found Yaya Ivy preparing egg sandwiches for the trip. I munched on a cold donut while Arianne and Arnold had sandwiches and milk. We watched TV for around half an hour or so before aunt and uncle woke up. We all rushed to get dressed and left the house around five.

The sun was beginning to rise as we travel down the streets of Cebu, and we stopped by our house (meaning mine and Nico's) to pick up my other uncle who was coming with us. Mum was still asleep.

We arrived at Hagnaya Wharf at around eight thirty, nearly three hours since we took off. It was a fun drive, I think. We just slept, talked and ate. But I was a little uncomfortable, since I was squished in the front seat with Arianne, but it's okay.

The barge that's supposed to take us to Bantayan is scheduled to leave at ten, so we bummed around the wharf for a while and ate barbeque. While doing this, my uncle's cousin Reinna called and said that there was a fiesta at Maya, another wharf, and where her family lives. After several negotiations, the grown-ups decided to go to Maya, where we could take a boat to Malapascua Is., come back late in the afternoon, celebrate the fiesta and sleep in a hotel, wake
up early and drive back to Hagnaya to take a barge to Bantayan, come back after a few hours and then go home. Pretty hectic, eh? I was pretty peeved about this at first, but I cooled off after a while.

We cancelled our tickets to the barge and drove to Maya, which is around an hour away from Hagnaya. I found out that my relatives had a restaurant and a beauty parlor there, and they were kinda prominent. Like, if you don't know the directions to the house, which we didn't, all you had to do was mention the family name and they would know where to lead you. Cool, huh?



The first two pictures are of us, the first one with my Lola (the farthest one on the left side, behind my aunt) in their restaurant in Hagnaya. It's called Fits All, and so is their parlor. Why, I do not know. We bummed there for a few minutes, then we drove to this resort nearby where we stayed the night. See last three photos. The first one is me with Arianne and Arnold, with the Tina Turner bird as background. We called it as the Tina Turner bird because we didn't know what kind of bird it was. I mean, it was baby blue with scary red eyes and curly hair, like Tina Turner. And we also had a mock game of billiards. And in the last photo is us in a little bridge over the fishpond. And oh yeah, see my sunglasses? They're really cool, huge ones from my uncle, who claims it's an original Louis Vuitton. And, yeah, it does look original.


After we had lunch, we went to the wharf to get a pump boat to cross the sea. That was around twelve, but the boat does not leave until a half-hour later, so we took photos. The first three were of us bumming around the boat. On board with us were a few local people and three foreigners. One was a baldy American with a huge bag and the other two looked like a German couple who were photographers. The boat reached Malapascua in an hour, and we immediately swam (fourth jpeg). And the last photo is me, my brother and my aunt on the boat back to Maya. It's not noticeable, but we were soaking wet there. It's because we just put on our clothes on top of our suits and jumped on the boat.



An hour later the boat arrived at Maya. We checked into the resort and showered, before going to Aunt Reinna's house nearby for dinner. It was yummy. We had lechon and scallops. And then we all settled to ponder on life (ha-ha). My uncle insisted on taking our picture because he says that we will all be recognized as a family because of our wide foreheads. Thanks a lot, uncle. So that's my aunt at the left, my Aunt Reinna, me, Aunt Reinna's husband and my uncle Owen.


We browsed the streets which were full with people. There were perya booths and ukay-ukay. After a few minutes we finally left for the resort because we still had to get up early for the next day. It turns out that my uncle scored a deal with a captain, and for a specific fee, the boat would take us to Bantayan from Maya. And mind you, it would take three hours, but it was worth it. And so after preparing, we finally slept. That's my brother with my uncle there. But I don't know if they were really asleep when this photo was taken.

SUNDAY



We woke up at around five to do some last minute preparations. But I woke up before then to use the bathroom because I had been hard-headed and drank Coke, but I really didn't have a choice. We ate brekkie and drove to the wharf where our boat was waiting. The trip took more than three hours, but I didn't mind because I could appreciate beauty of nature (Miss Cebu, here I come!). But really, the sights were amazing. I even saw some flying fishes. The sea was so clear and it was a beautiful day. We alternated between sleeping, eating and taking photos. And best part is there was a signal! Cool! The pictures above are of all of us in the boat. First two is me and my brother goofing for the camera, third is Arianne, Nico, me and Arnoldand fourth is my Aunt with Arnold at the back.



It was my first time in Bantayan, and it is really beautiful. More beautiful than Malapascua, because Bantayan is purely sand whereas Malapascua has rocks. Doesn't this remind you of Bora? All pictures contain Arianne, me, Arnold, my uncle Owen, my brother and uncle Ding, except for the third one because it's just uncle O with my brother and the second, fourth and fifth picture because uncle O isn't there.





Oh yes, more pictures in Bantayan. First is my, err, sizzling hot babe of a brother. Ha-ha! The second one is my aunt who looks like she's wrestling my brother to a good pose for the cam. My caption for the third photo is "Small, Medium, Large." :) See, I am so tiny! And fourth is "Extra-Small, Small, Medium, Large." Why not?

We rode the boat back to Maya at around noon because it'll take forever to get home, and my uncle O still has to pack for his Manila trip. And yeaahh, I got naked on the boat! Oh, um, not really. See, we didn't check into a resort in Bantayan, and we were driving straight home after we arrive in Maya, so we had to change clothes on the boat. My aunt did it first, facing away from us and covered by her husband with a towel. I was a little apprehensive but my aunt did
say that we're in the middle of the sea, so it's not like anyone's gonna see us changing. So I changed. I went to the back of the boat with my towel, peeled off my suit and changed into a colorful spaghetti top and white shorts. The trip back was quicker than the trip to the island.

I was practically burning when we arrived at Maya. I am burnt! I totally ran to the shade when I got out of the boat. We went home and arrived at our house at seven in the evening, where I watched TV before finally falling asleep- so asleep that my mom couldn't even wake me up. The end.

Here are some other choice photos from our trip.



My brother, Nico! The first photo was taken at the resort we stayed, and behind is the Tina Turner Bird. The second was in Malapascua Is. on the beach in front of the floating bar. I wanted to swim there, but I wasn't able to. And third was a photo I took myself. That was early morning on Sunday, on the boat to Bantayan. I guess this is his best picture (because it was taken by me- haha!) But seriously, it's better if you took shots of Nico when he's not posing
because he poses rather badly.



And that is me, on the pump boat, in my blue racerback and LV shades. I can't say anything about myself! The second pic is me with Arianne (and I just noticed Nico's at my feet), and the third one is me in Bantayan. For some reason I was camera-shy there. :-p

You might wonder how tanned I am right now.




Oh yes, that is me, very tanned. Wait... why do my eyes look bigger? That's weird. My sun burnt shoulders are better now, but my nose is starting to peel. Already! Geez!

And may I just add.... I missed Ranger!





Yes, Ranger, our rather primadonna dog. I have not seen him for days and I missed his kakulitan. And when I whipped out the camera to take photos of him, aba, nag-pose!

So that's how my weekend went. It was a totally cool weekend getaway, and at
least I could write something significant in those "What I Did Last
Summer
" essays in school.

And if my photos won't convince you to come to Cebu, I don't know what else
will.