sábado, octubre 02, 2004

The Da Vinci Code

Oh my, Ate J and Tammy weren't kidding when they told me about The Da Vinci Code! It really was a hard-to-put-down kind of book, so mystifying and astounding and intriguing. It was really fascinating and I kinda learned a lot too! I spent last Sunday reading it (Yup--the whole day!) and I finished it by bedtime. I didn't even concentrate on the TV shows! That was a first... Or maybe second? Third? I just kept on raving about this book- not really caring if Kimi had enough of my The Da Vinci bickering.

(WARNING: Spoilers ahead)



This is the La Pyramide, Louvre's new entrance. Quite interesting, for that pyramind is made of 666 glass panels. According to the book, the late French President Francois Mitterand was the one who requested it.

The author, Dan Brown said that the museum of Louvre is the longest building in Europe. I can distincly remember that he described it as three (OMG, three!) Eiffel Towers combined from top to bottom. Whoa! It can take you about five weeks to see everything on foot.

And guess what? I finally knew why Friday the 13th is said to be an unlucky day. It was October 13, 1307, a Friday, when Pope Clement V ordered his men to burn, torture (Insert your own terms here) the members of the Knights of Templer in Europe. Whew.

Leonardo da Vinci actually did 2 paintings of Madonna of the Rocks, or more popularly called The Virgin of the Rocks. According to the book, Da Vinci was commissioned by an organization called Confraternity of the Immaculate Concepcion, which needed a painting for the centerpiece of an altar triptych in the church of San Francesco in Milan. The nuns told Da Vinci of their desired theme for the painting, but when he delivered the work, the organization rejected it for although Da Vinci did as they requested, he had filled the painting with disturbing details. So he made another one (Shown below, thanks to Tams).



Mona Lisa, the book claimed, is neither male nor female. It is a fusing of both. Her name is an anagram of the divine union of male and female. Amon, represented with a man with a ram's head is the God of masculine fertility. His counterpart, the Egyptian Goddess of fertility is Isis, whose ancient pictogram was once called L'isa. AMON L'ISA. This is Da Vinci's secret and thus the knowing smile on Mona Lisa's face. Astounding, isn't it?

The number PHI (1.618) is known as the Divine Proportion. Now, I do hate math but if you read the book for an explanation, you will be really amazed.

I guess I can say I'm soo wayy beyond my study schedule typing this entry up. But see, I can't stop raving about this book, so I might post a few more facts up later.

See you later alligator!